Sunday, May 30, 2010

Google Earth and Graveyards









Ok, the last for today, but the best fun I've had with GPS and photographs.
Google Earth is a genealogy researchers best friend!
You can look up those mysterious places you've never seen, maybe even a place where your ancestor lived [I toured Paris, France one day!].

The latest fun I've been having is looking for those cemeteries where I have ancestors buried. Of course we cant see what it was like "then" but we can look at the places now, which is still intriguing to me.

Take the Forest Hill Cemetery in Boston, MA that was just being discussed in my earlier post.
All I do is write the name of the cemetery or town in the "Fly to" Search box. In this case I wrote the name Forest Hills Cemetery in the Business search box.
It came up with an aerial view of the area where the cemetery is located.
From there I can either look for the little photograph icons and see pictures others have taken of landmarks [in this case Sam791 took the photo of the Forest Hills entrance] or I can double click on the aerial view map until I hit ground level, where, if I'm lucky, there are camera icons! This indicates that there have been street level photos taken in sequence of the surrounding area!
I was able to do this for Congress Cemetery in Wayne County, Ohio [the topmost picture].

This all can be printed out and included in my family books. [And I've been spending lots of my extra time looking up these places I've never been to, so I can see where my people once lived!]

Now this won't happen for every place out there. Roosevelt, Oklahoma is one of the graveyards that has no street level pictures because the town is slowly drying up. But you can still tour downtown in places like this. [I looked up Kellerton, Iowa to see where my Great great-great grandparents, Susan T and Fred Brown lived and worked. It was cool!]

No comments:

Post a Comment